Network Terms of ServiceSERVICE PLACEMENT AGREEMENT
ACCEPTANCE OF RESPONSIBILITY
I am electing to participate in service. I agree to act responsibly and to comply with the following conditions of engaging in service commitments during my academic career at John Carroll University.
to be punctual and conscientious in my attendance for the time of my service activity;
to notify the Center for Service and Social Action (or site supervisor, in the case of a self-placement) if I am unable to participate at least 24 hours in advance of my scheduled service, whenever possible;
to consider as confidential all information concerning other people, clients, employees, and agencies/organizations;
to refrain from contacting students or clients outside of my assigned times and duties;
to make my work the highest quality and accept supervision graciously by conducting myself with dignity, courtesy and consideration;
to adhere to the John Carroll University Student Code of Conduct while participating in service;
to complete all assignments stated in the course syllabus relating to my service learning activity (if applicable);
to notify the Center for Service and Social Action at John Carroll University of any problems, emergencies, safety hazards, concerns, or suggestions regarding my service activity;
to complete and return to the Center for Service and Social Action all necessary forms and/or paperwork in a timely fashion, if prescribed for my service activity.
ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND RELEASE
• I understand that certain risks of harm are inherent in travel to and from service locations as well as with service activities; I acknowledge that I am voluntarily choosing this service placement. I personally assume all responsibility for any risks involved in connection with my participation in and travel to and from this service activity. I release JCU, its trustees, officers, agents, employees, and volunteers from any claims or causes of action for any personal injury or damage to personal property in connection with my participation in and travel to and from this activity. I understand that this Release covers any and all claims against JCU (or any of those mentioned above) including but not limited to negligence and/or failure to supervise. I also understand that this Release binds me, my family, estate, and/or heirs. I understand that my behavior is subject to applicable JCU policies while participating in and traveling to and from this activity.
• If I require medical care while participating in this service activity, I authorize JCU through its employees or agents to summon emergency medical care or to take me to the nearest medical facility for purposes of receiving medical care with the understanding that I will not hold JCU or its employees, agents, or representatives responsible for the actions of the agents, representatives, or employees of the medical facility and that I will assume any and all responsibility for payment of same. I understand that in the event of an accident, costs related to my medical treatment and any property damage are my responsibility.
• I give John Carroll University and their authorized representatives the right and permission to publish and copyright without charge any photographs taken during my service or any comments about my service that I may write in van reflections or end-of-service surveys. These photographs and comments may be used in printed publications, such as an annual report, university catalogue, promotional literature, advertising, or in other similar ways.
• I give John Carroll University and their authorized representatives the right and permission to include the professors and/or activity coordinators to which I attribute my service hours on any correspondence related to my service, including service reminders, absences, and missed service.
• I understand and agree to the following:
o The Center for Service and Social Action (CSSA) will release my participant profile and any other documents I provide to the service organizations I register with. The CSSA may release my information in any format, including printed copies, digital files, or online access to the CSSA database.
o I have the right to view my information. I have the right to revoke or deny any organization’s access to my file. In compliance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), I have the right to remove, correct any information that I submit to the Center for Service and Social Action. (For a complete disclosure of your rights under FERPA, please visit http://www.jcu.edu/registrar/ferpa.htm)
WAIVER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY FOR USE OF PERSONAL VEHICLE (if applicable)
• If I will be using my own vehicle and/or arranging other transportation to and from my service site, I acknowledge that I am voluntarily choosing this option, regardless of whether John Carroll University offers provision of transportation to and from this location with university vehicles. I also understand that, by using or arranging my own transportation, John Carroll University is not responsible for any damage to personal property or bodily injury that may occur during this transportation. I understand that should the vehicle I am driving or in, be involved in an accident; the vehicle owner’s insurance would be the primary insurance.
• I agree that I will not use my personal vehicle nor encourage those who may be transporting me to and from my service to transport employees, clients, consumers, or other persons affiliated with the above named organization while at the organization to participate in the service activity for which I have registered. I also agree not to transport fellow John Carroll University students to or from service in my personal vehicle nor in the vehicles of those who may be transporting me to and from my service. I understand that if I choose to use my personal vehicle to transport any persons affiliated with the above named organization that John Carroll University is not responsible for any damage to personal property or bodily injury that may occur as a result.
• In consideration of my participation in, and my use of alternative transportation to and from, this activity, I hereby waive all claims or causes of action against John Carroll University, its officers, agents, employees, successors, and assigns, arising out of my transportation choice and herby release, hold harmless and discharge all liability in connection therewith.
I have read this waiver and release, and understand the terms used in it and their legal significance, specifically the waiver of the right to legal recourse against John Carroll University, its officers, agents, employees, successors, and assigns . This waiver and release is freely and voluntarily given.
I confirm that I am at least eighteen (18) years of age and am otherwise competent to execute this agreement. I confirm that I have read this Service Placement Agreement and that I fully understand it and agree to be legally bound by it.